Nazareth College is an award-winning school attracting top talent and preparing students for careers in growing fields, from physical therapy to environmental science. With coveted small class sizes and student-teacher ratios, national championship sports teams, and a renowned arts center, Nazareth should be on your short list of colleges to recommend to your top students.
The College is known for its strong liberal arts foundation and thriving professional programs. It continues to develop new and innovative curricula to offer students more opportunities to prepare themselves for fulfilling careers. For instance, a $32 million Integrated Center for Math and Science, opening in fall 2012, will provide the evidence-based learning necessary in the sciences.
Nazareth uses the vibrant Rochester community to enhance its academic programs, providing its students with broad community connections, resources for internships and field work, and alumni with whom to network.
Nazareth's 150-acre, picturesque campus in Pittsford, N.Y., is just eight miles from downtown Rochester, which offers great culture, professional sports teams, world-class entertainment, and year-round outdoor activities. Nazareth is the kind of school that parents and students fall in love with. We urge students to come and visit Nazareth and experience it first-hand.
Did you know?
- U.S. News & World Report's recent college guide listed Nazareth under “Great Schools, Great Prices” and “A+ Schools for B Students,” where top-quality institutions look beyond just grades on applications.
- The Princeton Review's guide Best 376 Colleges for 2012 listed Nazareth under “Town-Gown Relations are Great.”
- Nazareth has a robust placement rate, with 81 percent of students employed by graduation (based on a survey of 2009 graduates).
- Nazareth puts a strong emphasis on civic engagement; approximately 91 percent of the student body participates in community service as part of their educational experience.
- 97 percent of students at Nazareth receive some kind of financial aid.
- Average class size is 14 students; average student-teacher ratio is 12:1.
- Nazareth offers more than 50 clubs and 24 sports for women and men, including the new addition of men's ice hockey.
- While Nazareth prefers students with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 and SAT scores around 1150, it has been praised for looking beyond test scores to find other desirable attributes of potential applicants.
- Students have the opportunity to study abroad in France, Germany, Italy, and Spain. They can also participate in an Honors Program or do independent study.
Need to Know
- Nazareth is a comprehensive college, blending liberal arts and professional programs.
- Nazareth has about 2,000 undergraduates, hailing from 24 states and 12 foreign countries.
- The College has higher retention and graduation rates than 80 percent of our peer institutions.
- The College is a welcoming environment for first-generation students. Almost 35 percent of our undergraduates are the first in their families to attend college.
- Nazareth is affordably priced compared to other New York State and Northeast region private colleges.
- Students learn and grow in a friendly and supportive academic community that focuses on experiential learning, civic engagement, and close student-faculty interaction to produce students who learn deeply and experience broadly.
- Nazareth is a residential college. About two-thirds of our students live in campus housing.
- Clinics, hospitals, student teaching and observation sites, field placements, internships, and community service opportunities are all minutes away.
- Nazareth's campus is friendly and secure. To make sure it stays that way, the College maintains a full-time, 24-hours-a-day Campus Safety Department.
- With a variety of 50 clubs and organizations (and growing), students are sure to find a niche.
- Students can choose from more than 40 majors, as well as pre-professional programs and education certifications.
- Physical therapy is one of our most academically challenging programs.
- Up and coming programs include music theatre, Asian studies, music/business, and international business.
- The theatre program is rated #9 nationally in the Princeton Review.
Tuition & Aid
View our tuition and aid page for the most up to date costs for attending Nazareth and for the many available financial aid options.
- We have a three-tier notification program: Early Decision, Early Action, and Regular Decision.
- College prep curriculum is required. A four-year sequence of all core academic subjects is strongly preferred.
- We have a test-optional policy. Students choose whether or not to submit SAT or ACT scores. Approximately 32 percent of our candidates for admission choose not to submit.
- Freshman class size: 472
- Applications received for freshman class: 3,000+
- The mean high school grade point average is 3.4 (core subjects only).
- Two-thirds of our students were in the top 25 percent of their senior class.
- The mean SAT score is 1160 (580 CR/580 Math). The average writing score is 560. The three-mean score is 1720.
- 12 percent of our students are students of color.
- 10 percent of our students are from outside New York State.